[api.met.no] Delivery problems and changes to radar

Mon Jun 17 14:59:53 UTC 2019

Dear API users,

last night we had some problems in the backend distribution system,
which meant that there was a lack of fresh data on api.met.no. Radar
seems to have been down between 02:00 and 10:00 UTC, and it seems
tafmetar was affected too, possibly others as well. The good news is
that this fluke occurs only about every 6 months, so we should be safe
until xmas...

Due to increased workload by the new 5 min radar interval, we have
reduced the number of different image sizes available. The little used
"medium" size have been terminated, and the "large" size (which either
was the same size as "normal" or an upscaled version) will be
discontinued on Wednesday, June 19th. Also, the small GIF animations
haven't been produced for a long time and will be removed from the API.
This means only the following variations will be available in the future:

Content		Size
animation	normal (default)
image		normal (default), small

This does not affect radarlightning which already uses only "normal" size.

Again, we're sorry for the inconvenience, but hopefully the faster radar
scan rate should compensate for the reduced size options.

Best regards,

Geir Aalberg
API developer